Then Eureka!!!! I found something that suggested that maybe I could create the embellishments I needed to re-work the existing frame into the baroque style I had always hoped for. It involves using air dry clay and moulds. I researched a ton, checked out lots of You Tube videos and decided.....I can do this!
I'll be honest, this project took a crazy amount of time. I had to make each of the pieces that I used. Arrange them in a design, glue them to the existing frame, and paint them. It was tedious to say the least. But, I'm so pleased with the outcome.
A couple other tips worth sharing....I did place the majority of the pieces when they were fresh out of the moulds. It allowed me to place/shape them just how I wanted them while they were pliable.
I would tape them in place with painter's tape to hold them while they dried (the tape did not damage the clay at all). I also found that dusting the inside of the mould with cornstarch made it super easy to remove the clay without harming the design, especially for some of the more intricate designs.
As for the painting....I wanted the pieces to look aged/tarnished. So, that took some time as well. It was a process of layering, gold, black, and umber to create what I wanted. I then also needed to blend those darker paints onto the rest of the frame to provide some continuity. It was a lot of different techniques using brushes, fingers, rags, you name it!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.