Search This Blog


Sunday, July 20, 2014


I am so excited to share this with you...and the best treat for me is I just stumbled upon it at Lowe's.  I have been bothered with a window I have in the basement.  You see, it is in the area where I have my clients change clothes.  I've had a decorative screen for them to step behind, but it still bothered me.  Really since my shop is in the basement, it's really not possible to see into the window....but it was a psychological thing for me; I want my clients to feel they have privacy.  Plus, being a basement window it has the ugly window well too.

The reason it's taken me so long to figure out what to do with it is I like the bit of light it provides, so I really wasn't too thrilled with putting up curtains or something else that was going to make it darker.  So, I did nothing.....until NOW!

This little discovery is the perfect solution actually.  It adds privacy, still lets in light and camouflages the window well.  EUREKA!!
The product is made by Gila.  As you can see from their website, there are all sorts of added bonuses with the product like UV ray reduction, and energy saving benefits.   They had several to choose from at Lowe's....I opted for the frosted glass look, although there were a couple others that were really pretty, including two that resembled stained glass.


Now I'm ready to add some pretty wood molding trim to add a nice finishing touch and minimize the "builder basic" look of the window and cover up the steel casings that are typical of a basement window.  (Although this make take some convincing with my husband, because I've been told the windows are designed to come completely out in the event of a need to "escape/evacuate" and you're not supposed to put anything inside the frame.  Really?)

I have to tell you, I was a bit intimidated with the whole thing....but, I just followed along with the step-by-step directions and it went really well actually.
the half-way mark
I purchased one package of the film and a bottle of the application solution.  I did not buy the other items they sold, which was the trimmer (I figured I could use an x-acto knife and I was worked just fine).

I was able to handle this window on my own, especially since it was in two separate panels...but I could see if it was a wider window, a second pair of hands would be really helpful.  

I know there are many folks who have a garage window or bathroom window that present the same challenges I just described.  I would say this product could be the solution they've been looking for.  

The packaging says it takes several days to fully "cure", but I'm pleased with how easily it went up, how well it adhered and I don't have any air bubbles or slippage.  

I do have a lot of the solution and a fair amount of the film leftover.  Hhhhhmmmmm......I just may have to do the other window on the other side of the room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.