I also chose to make them in these cute little tulip cups I found at Cost Plus World Market.
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
½ cup honey
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
¾ cup finely shredded carrots (about 2-3 medium carrots)
¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp. all purpose flour
2 Tbsp. wheat germ
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. softened butter
½ tsp. cinnamon
*you can use another type of fruit spread if you don't like orange marmalade, but I loved the way the orange tasted with the carrots!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the tulip liners inside a cupcake pan (I watched an episode of "Martha bakes" where she just used these on a cookie sheet, so I started out that way.....thank goodness I checked them after about 6 minutes; they had totally spread apart, so I quickly put them inside the cupcake tin and saved the batch!)
2. In a large bowl whisk together, the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt.
3. Make a small well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the butter, honey, egg, vanilla and applesauce.
4. Stir ingredients together until just combined and there are still some spots of flour remaining.
5. Fold in the shredded carrots just until combined (don't overmix or the muffins will be dense)
6. Fill each muffin cup approximately 2/3 full of batter; spoon approximately 1 Tbsp. of orange marmalade over the top of the batter; add another large spoonful of batter over the top of the marmalade; it doesn't have to cover the marmalade completely.
7. Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with the streusel before baking.
8. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
9. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely. These muffins freeze wonderfully.