A few years ago, a friend of my daughters was going to be donating this mirror ( I believe it was a family member's actually). He mentioned it to her in case she might be interested. Well, she jumped on the offer. Having always wanted a large full length mirror and knowing how much these little suckers can cost, it was a great offer!
The original color was a very dark espresso, with a plain wide wooden border. She had me paint it a rose gold color several months later. Fast forward another year or so, and now that I've learned how to create embellishments using the air dry clay technique, she asked if I could embellish her mirror.
Here's the early stages of the project. You can see the basic nature of the mirror (in the picture on the right), and what I was doing as I started using the clay moulds and laying out some design ideas. Unlike my mirror which had some wood moulding strips around the perimeter, this mirror had nothing. So I opted to purchase another mould that allowed me to add faux moulding out of clay.Adding that third mould, gives me a really solid assortment of designs to choose from for the next project (I just know they'll be a next project). The other thing I'm sure you noticed is the transformation in the color. This mirror is going in her photography studio which has some gold accents, so the rose gold wasn't going to work. She asked for more of a true gold color. To give it more of "baroque" feel, I also added some antiquing to it by using some brown and black paints to create an aged look.
It's a beauty for sure! And when I think of how it started out, it really is quite the transformation! I have to say, I'm really pleased with the final outcome. It looks outstanding in her studio. Not only is it a beautiful decorator statement piece, but it's completely functional and just what her clients need to give a quick look before the shutter starts clicking!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.